Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
Aller à la page : Précédent  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Suivant
AuteurMessage
Katniss&Prim
Dort avec Rue

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Mer 18 Avr - 12:42

Mary Feltwood a écrit:
Reverso is not the only solution for speak english... You can watch movies with french subtitles, you can traduce english songs... There are so many solutions, you know Wink

I know, but I'm lazy !
And, in February, I began to read Harry Potter in English, but, after 10 pages, I stopped because it was too hard ! pff:

Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Faust
A l'entraînement

Localisation : sur ce chef d'oeuvre anatomique qui me sert d'arrière-train.

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Mer 18 Avr - 12:51

I started reading John Green's last book in english and it's not that hard. And fun. Cool
louge
Est fouettée

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Mer 18 Avr - 13:25

Chlo : To my mind, I think that it's better begin to read easy books. When I was younger, I've began read Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and I've understood very well. Since that, I love speak english.
I agree with Mary Feltwood : to improve your english level, you can watch movies with french subtitles, listen easy english songs. In class, you must participate a lot !
So... I wish what I've said could help you ^^
Emia
A pris un tessera

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Mer 18 Avr - 20:49

No I speak english like a spanish cow !
RainbowWoman
A l'entraînement

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Mer 18 Avr - 22:41

I saw all the Harry Potter movies in english and I read the first book in english but it's more difficult Smile
Ridestevor
Participe à la Moisson

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Mer 18 Avr - 23:38

Hey guys !
English is my favorite language, I really enjoy speak it (I always use strong language in english aha.)
When I have the possibility, I always watch a movie or a serie in english. It's really useful to strengthen your vocabulary and anyway, french dubbing is just an horror to my mind.
Evergreen
A pris un tessera

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Jeu 19 Avr - 11:38

Ridestevor a écrit:

It's really useful to strengthen your vocabulary and anyway, french dubbing is just an horror to my mind.

Tell me about it. Now that I've become accustomed so much to English, watching French dubs is almost painful. I prefer watching and reading things in their original language, so many subtleties can be lost in translation.
First books I ever read in English were the Harry Potter books. I don't think it's that hard, you just have to have the patience to accept that the dictionnary will be your best friend for the first half of the first book. Then it just goes out very smoothly and in no time, there, you've made it.
I think the best thing to do to get a good grasp over English (which is by far easier than French in many aspects) is daily practice. Listen to songs and try to figure out their lyrics before looking them up. Watch the CNN's Student News on Youtube, I think it's fairly easy to follow what they're saying. Read a page of anything written in English. Thanks to the Internet, you can master English pretty easily if you have the will to.
Mary Feltwood
Pacificateur

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Jeu 19 Avr - 13:58

Actually, I read the third Harry Potter book in english and I understand almost everything, I'm impress because it's the first english book I read so...

Well, what's your favorite book or film? (:

...And I owe you so much."
"We're not a couple. - Yes, you are." Johnlock ♥
http://BelongToTheWolves.tumblr.com
Herosix
Retrouve Buttercup

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Jeu 19 Avr - 14:10

I like several action films, and you ?
RainbowWoman
A l'entraînement

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Jeu 19 Avr - 18:49

Tomorrow i'm in holidays ! I can't wait to see my friends for the party, and move my grandmother's house!
Evergreen
A pris un tessera

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Jeu 19 Avr - 19:19

Lucky you! I'm having kind of a holiday myself, with the strike going on...Hopefully, with this, I'll get to attend one of my distant relative's marriage. Can't wait for Saturday Night to come ^^
Cécilia
Chef des Pacificateurs

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Sam 21 Avr - 2:43

"I love speaking english". You have to use the progressive form when you're talking about an action in general.

I love eating chocolate. I love doing my homework. Being here is nice.

It's the same thing when you are doing something in the immediate present.

I'm eating chocolate. I'm doing my homework.

Also : "Reverso is not the only solution for speak english"

-> to speak english, not "for". Always use "to" when you're talking about a goal to achieve. Le pour français s'applique dans tous les cas. "Je fais ça pour toi" "Je fais ça pour améliorer mon accent." Pas en anglais. Lorsque vous exprimez un moyen en vue d'une fin, il faut utiliser "to". "For" a aussi une autre fonction plus compliquée : "Je suis désolée de ne pas être là." -> "I'm sorry for not being here". Ici, il indique la conséquence.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” A. Einstein.
[Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image] [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image]
RainbowWoman
A l'entraînement

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Dim 22 Avr - 0:29

I'm in a bad mood I think.. I hate this.
LuckyCharm
Chasse avec Gale

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Mar 24 Avr - 16:11

Just found this topic, haha. o/
It's a really good idea that you had, Cécilia. I'm in High School so I don't speak english very well but I'd like to improve it and I'll maybe do a licence in english after High (LLCE I think)

Tell me if I do big mistakes also Wink
Cécilia
Chef des Pacificateurs

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Mar 24 Avr - 16:19

Your english is pretty good already. Smile I only have two things to say : "make a mistake" instead of "do a mistake" and "maybe I'll do" is better than "I'll maybe do" (though it's not really incorrect).

Rainbowwoman : Why were you in a bad mood?

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” A. Einstein.
[Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image] [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image]
LuckyCharm
Chasse avec Gale

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Mar 24 Avr - 16:24

Ok, thank you Wink It's also for this that this topic is a good idea : the help, haha.
Giiom
Est fouettée

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Mer 6 Juin - 15:31

hello, how are you today ?

so, tomorrow I'll have an examination in english:

to present a topic the choice (au choix)

I put my text on this page to have a last correction

thanks in advance.

here is my text:

The Hunger Games

I’m going to speak about The Hunger Games, the Suzanne Collins’s trilogy.

All began with a friend, actually, my best friend, he read the books and he spoke with me about it and he gives me fancy to discover by myself this story.

Now I read these books and I can say: I love it.

Suzanne Collins:

Collins was born on August 10, 1962 in Hartford, Connecticut. She is the daughter of a U.S. Air Force officer who served in the Vietnam War.

Collins' career began in 1991 as a writer for children's television shows. She worked on several television shows for Nickelodeon, including Clarissa Explains It All, The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo, Little Bear, and Oswald. She was also the head writer for Scholastic Entertainment's Clifford's Puppy Days. She received a Writers Guild of America nomination in animation for co-writing the critically acclaimed Christmas special, Santa, Baby!

After meeting children's author James Proimos while working on the Kids' WB show Generation O!, Collins was inspired to write children's books herself. Her inspiration for Gregor the Overlander, the first book of The New York Times best-selling series The Underland Chronicles, came from Alice in Wonderland, when she was thinking about how one was more likely to fall down a manhole than a rabbit hole, and would find something other than a tea party. Between 2003 and 2007 she wrote the five books of the Underland Chronicles: Gregor the Overlander, Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane, Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods,Gregor and the Marks of Secret, and Gregor and the Code of Claw. During that time, Collins also wrote a rhyming picture book, When Charlie McButton Lost Power(2005), illustrated by Mike Lester.

A little description:

In the future after an unknown apocalyptic weather event, in the North America, who called now Panem.

Panem is separate in 13 districts, each of them has its own role: example: Technology, Power, Agriculture, Etc.
The Capitol is the Capital city and the wealthiest area of Panem.

After a rebellion conducted by the district 13, it was been annihilated, and the punishment of the Capitol is The Hunger Games:

Each year, in the 12 districts of Panem (because the 13 was annihilated) a lottery is organized to select one boy and one girl between 12 and 18 year who will be sent in an arena to kill all of the others.

The books talks the story of Katniss Everdeen, A girl of 16 of district 12, the district of mining, her father is deceased in an explosion during his work.

The books are on the first person. In the mind of Katniss.

Synopsis:

Katniss Everdeen at all chance to be select as tribute because her name is many time on the lottery ball, and it’s the first time her sister names is in the lottery.

So, when it’s the time to select the name of female tribute, Katniss is sure be the tribute, but, the name to select is Primrose Everdeen, her little sister.

Katniss volunteered to replace her, … and I would not say more.

Some difference between the first book and the movie:

A movie was created, this movie has some differences with the first book:

Firstly the film offers another viewpoint:

It is not filmed at first person, so, it gives an outside perspective that can see what we imagined.

Some scenes were removed:

The scenes of flashbacks, they kept only the most important.

Some dialogues were removed too, many of these dialogues are funny and it missed to fans.

We haven’t really the time to know some characters.

And some scenes were added:

The outside perspective gives some advantages to discover an other part of the Games (the judge room, some dialogues between the first judge and the president, …).

In short:

The book is more complete than the film but the perspective offered by the film is interesting.
Mary Feltwood
Pacificateur

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Dim 10 Juin - 12:29

Your english is very good, you know. I'll read The Hunger Games in english, one day, it's going to be a good exercise, I guess Wink

It's so good to have a english topic Very Happy

Giiom
Est fouettée

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Dim 10 Juin - 17:35

thank you Smile

but I did some mistakes:

Her sister's name (I wrote "names")

and my teacher told me:

"Point of view" not "viewpoint"

but I don't know, I wait the correction of Cécilia "The queen of English" ^^

but she has a lot of work!!

so, I wait
Cécilia
Chef des Pacificateurs

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Lun 11 Juin - 14:47

Lol, I'd rather be queen of the world. Twisted Evil So here are your mistakes :

Giiom a écrit:
hello, how are you today ?

so, tomorrow I'll have an examination in english:

to present a topic the choice (au choix)
[mhm il n'y pas vraiment d'équivalent pour "au choix" en anglais, on dirait juste "a topic of my choice"]

I put my text on this page to have a last correction

thanks in advance.

here is my text:

The Hunger Games

I’m going to speak about The Hunger Games, the Suzanne Collins’s trilogy. [il n'y a jamais d'article quand il s'agit de la possession]

All began with a friend, actually, my best friend, he read the books and he spoke with me about it and he gives me fancy to discover by myself this story. ["il m'a donné l'envie" is simply translated by "he made me want"]

Now I read these books and I can say: I love it.

Suzanne Collins:

Collins was born on August 10, 1962 in Hartford, Connecticut. She is the daughter of a U.S. Air Force officer who served in the Vietnam War.

Collins' career began in 1991 as a writer for children's television shows. She worked on several television shows for Nickelodeon, including Clarissa Explains It All, The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo, Little Bear, and Oswald. She was also the head writer for Scholastic Entertainment's Clifford's Puppy Days. She received a Writers Guild of America nomination in animation for co-writing the critically acclaimed Christmas special, Santa, Baby!

After meeting children's author James Proimos while working on the Kids' WB show Generation O!, Collins was inspired to write children's books herself. Her inspiration for Gregor the Overlander, the first book of The New York Times best-selling series The Underland Chronicles, came from Alice in Wonderland, when she was thinking about how one was more likely to fall down a manhole than a rabbit hole, and would find something other than a tea party. Between 2003 and 2007 she wrote the five books of the Underland Chronicles: Gregor the Overlander, Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane, Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods,Gregor and the Marks of Secret, and Gregor and the Code of Claw. During that time, Collins also wrote a rhyming picture book, When Charlie McButton Lost Power(2005), illustrated by Mike Lester.

A little description:

In the future after an unknown apocalyptic weather event, in the North America, who called now Panem. [pas d'article, simplement "in North America" et "which is now called Panem", "who" ne s'attribue qu'à des personnes]

Panem is separate in 13 districts, each of them has its own role: example: Technology, Power, Agriculture, Etc. [separated, au temps du prétérit]
The Capitol is the Capital city and the wealthiest area of Panem.

After a rebellion conducted by the district 13, it was been annihilated, and the punishment of the Capitol is The Hunger Games: ["it has been annihilated", c'est du participe passé, on ne peut pas le mettre avec du prétérit, et on le forme avec le verbe "have" ; the punishment were the Hunger Games, games étant au pluriel]

Each year, in the 12 districts of Panem (because the 13 was annihilated) [lorsque l'on emploie les numéros ordinaux du genre deuxième, troisième, il faut le souligner comme ceci : 13th qui signifie thirteenth, cependant les trois premiers chiffres sont différentes : 1st pour first, 2nd pour second, et 3rd pour third, il faut les apprendre] a lottery is organized to select one boy and one girl between 12 and 18 year ["between the age of 12 and 18, pas de "year" derrière] who will be sent in an arena to kill all of the others. [c'est pas incorrect grammaticalement mais "each other" serait plus approprié]

The books talks ["the books tell", ici le verbe approprié est "raconter", lorsqu'il s'agit d'une histoire, d'un récit quelconque, il faut toujours employer le verbe "to tell" et il n'y a pas de s puisque le nom "book" est au pluriel] the story of Katniss Everdeen, A girl of 16 [là par contre, il faut mettre "years old] of district 12 ["from district 12" quand on parle d'un lieu], the district of mining, her father is deceased [ici le verbe "décéder" n'est pas approprié, on dira "was killed", au prétérit car en anglais, lorsqu'on parle d'un évènement qui s'est déroulé dans le passé et qui est révolu, on n'emploie toujours le prétérit, jamais le présent] in an explosion during his work. [pas assez étoffé, on dira plutot "while he was working"]

The books are on the first person. In the mind of Katniss.
["the books are in first person, from Katniss' point of view"]

Synopsis:

Katniss Everdeen at all chance to be select as tribute because her name is many time on the lottery ball, and it’s the first time her sister names is in the lottery. ["Katniss has all chances to be selected as tribute since her name appears many times in the lottery ball" et "her sister's name]

So, when it’s the time to select the name of female tribute, Katniss is sure be the tribute, but, the name to select is Primrose Everdeen, her little sister. ["when it's time", pas d'article "but the name selected is Primrose Everdeen's", ne pas oublier la possession]

Katniss volunteered to replace her, … and I would not say more. [fait attention à la concordance des temps quand tu fais un exposé, une disserte, un récit, jusque là, tu as employé le présent et d'un coup, tu emploies le prétérit, il faut éviter, donc "volunteers" serait mieux; par contre, si tu parles d'un évènement antérieur à ton récit, comme la période de la rébellion des douze districts, là tu emploieras le prétérit]

Some difference between the first book and the movie: ["differences" avec un s]

A movie was created, this movie has some differences with the first book:

Firstly the film offers another viewpoint:

It is not filmed at first person, so, it gives an outside perspective that can see what we imagined. [on n'emploie pas le terme "à la première personne" dans le cas d'un film, uniquement pour les oeuvres littéraires, mais "point of view", quant à la seconde partie de la phrase, je comprends pas trop ce que t'as voulu dire, c'est mal dit]

Some scenes were removed:

The scenes of flashbacks, they kept only the most important.

Some dialogues were removed too, many of these dialogues are funny and it missed to fans. [mauvaise construction, "fans missed it"]

We haven’t really the time to know some characters. ["We don't really have time to get to know the characters"]

And some scenes were added:

The outside perspective gives some advantages ["gives the opportunity" serait mieux] to discover an other part ["an other side" serait mieux] of the Games (the judge room, some dialogues between the first judge and the president, …).

In short:

The book is more complete than the film but the perspective offered by the film is interesting.
Tout le passage sur la carrière de Suzanne Collins, c'est du copier coller, hein ? What a Face

Dernière édition par Cécilia le Mer 13 Juin - 21:38, édité 1 fois
Giiom
Est fouettée

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Lun 11 Juin - 15:42

Je vais écrire en français pour poser des questions sur des points précis de la correction.

Tout d'abord, oui la partie sur Suzanne Collins est copié collé ^^

Ensuite, ce que j'ai voulu dire sur la deuxième partie de la phrase mal écrite (that can see what we imagined.) s'est que le point de vue extérieur offert par le film est intéressant et qu'il permet de voir ce qui se passe à l'extérieur de l'arène (ce que l'ont peut s'imaginer en lisant le livre).

Et pour finir, en anglais on ne peut pas utiliser "quelques différences" ou "quelques scènes" (some) ?

Et ben la partie oral s'est assez bien passée, mais vu le nombre de fautes que tu as repérée dans la partie écrite ... enfin, on verra.

sinon, un grand merci à toi d'avoir pris le temps de me corriger.
Cécilia
Chef des Pacificateurs

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Lun 11 Juin - 20:27

Dans ce cas-là je dirais "[...] give an outside perspective so that we can see what we imagined." => pour que l'on puisse voir ce que l'on s'est imaginé.

Quant à "some", si si, on peut tout à fait dire "some differences" ou "some scenes".

J'ai oublié de corriger un truc "I would not say more". C'est "I will not say more". Would exprime la possibilité, le conditionnel. Ici, on le comprend donc comme "Je n'en dirais pas plus", du genre "Si j'étais toi, je n'en dirais pas plus", et non comme un futur "Je n'en dirai pas plus".

Mary Feltwood
Pacificateur

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Mer 13 Juin - 18:39

Cécilia, I want your english duh:
Have you learned english by yourself or...?

Cécilia
Chef des Pacificateurs

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Mer 13 Juin - 21:34

Yes, by watching movies and reading books. I've also had great teachers in high school and, of course, I'm still learning at university since I started my licence. : P Being surrounded by British, Irish and American people also help.

Mary Feltwood
Pacificateur

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   Jeu 14 Juin - 16:52

Ok, you're lucky! My english teacher, this year, does only exercices and lessons too "easy" for me, I haven't learned something this year in english, it's sad.
I'd like to know more about this language.

Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Let's speak english, man !   

Let's speak english, man !
Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 6 sur 19Aller à la page : Précédent  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Suivant